Tuesday 31 January 2012

Bedtime Stories and Salons

When I got down to work on my latest homework, which was to write a story for an eight year old child, I didn't think I was going to enjoy it or have much success. I can't believe how wrong I was. I absolutely loved the challenge - not only did I manage to create what I think is an original and compelling story, I ended up drafting two installments. Now I have 4,500 words (for my 600 word homework). I put in the first chapter for feedback so I can't wait to get the critique back this week.

On another note, my writing teacher lent me a copy of Mslexia which I'm going to subscribe to. It hadn't occurred to me how useful it might be to read about other writer's experiences. It also highlighted how little I know about this world - there is a cover story about 'starting your own salon' - I thought it was referring to a hairdresser.  Apparently not, a writer's salon is where you share and discuss work. If publicly admitting my ignorance helps at least one person my shame won't have been wasted.

No comments:

Post a Comment