Wednesday 8 February 2012

She ain't heavy, she's my Novella..

This week our homework was to write a short story for teenagers. Eek. I've found a genre that simply isn't for me. Not yet anyway. Maybe when my kids get a bit older and I have an insight into teen culture from their perspective. For now I think I'll stick to what I enjoy, that is short stories and my burgeoning novella.

Yes I dare call it that now. It's taken on a life of it's own and I'm well past the 21k word mark. Even with ruthless editing it is clearly beyond a long, short story. It has been a voyage of discovery but I haven't been travelling alone. My characters have their own clear ideas of where they want to go, I just need to keep up with them. From time to time the muse deserts us all but going to class where I hear other people's writing and get set new exercises provides inspiration time and time again.

I guess that adult education is another form of 'salon'. We listen, share, inspire and support each other. Feedback from the teacher, who is herself a published author, is invaluable. We even manage to squeeze in a glass of wine after our session.

I'll sign out today with this wonderful quote;

I know that the best stories are those that are still untold -
so keep writing, keep creating, keep the faith.
- COLUM McCANN

No comments:

Post a Comment