Tuesday 22 November 2011

Well Read

We are in week 7 of homework, week 8 of term. I had my work read out for the second time since the course started during the last class. I have to admit that while I thought I didn't need the ego boost from a public audience it is good to hear your piece. It takes on a new life and gives the writer a different perspective.

My Magnum Opus is coming along OK. I think I was sub-consciously trying to finish it before the end of term but since my reading I've felt re-energised. I think there is still a lot more of the tale to tell and so I'm going to keep letting it unfold.

One of the many great things about doing this course is that the weekly classes and homework give direction and impetus for the student to keep producing work. In my case each homework assignment has given my story direction, my characters their own voice and my writing its own style. It's great.

I still haven't got anyone to read my work but I don't think I'm ready to show it yet. At lunchtime I thought of some new scenes to fill in some of the yawning holes in my prose. Then I went on to consider how my first story could become a critically acclaimed work and turned into an Oscar winning film starring Olivia Williams. Well. All dreams have to start somewhere don't they?

No comments:

Post a Comment