Monday 26 September 2011

Che Sera Sera

There are a few things I think you should know before we go any further. Just so you know who we're talking about here.

  • 41
  • Female
  • Married with 2 small children (3.5 and 2)
  • I love my husband and children
  • Employed full-time
  • I love my job
  • I go running twice a week during my lunch hour
  • Our family includes 2 rabbits, 2 goldfish (which aren't gold) and an aquarium with a variety of tropical fish, a sea cucumber, starfish and hermit crabs
  • My husband is a graphic designer who goes kick-boxing 3 times a week. His biggest dream when he was growing up was to be a ninja

A couple of months ago, when the children had gone to sleep and we'd just opened a nice bottle of Red, Mr Me asked what I thought the future held - What happens when we retire? It had never occurred to me. I enjoy my job and my life and can't imagine what I'd do if anything changed. But change is irrevocable and unavoidable. In the words of Van Halen 'you've got to roll with the punches to get to what's real'.

Wise words and a philosophical wisdom I'm about to experiment with. In anticipation of said punches I've enrolled in Creative Writing Levels 1 & 2 at our local 'Adult Education' centre. At 41 I'm returning to the hallowed halls of academia - the same year that my firstborn takes her first tentative steps into her own academic career. If you can refer to preschool in that way.

I'm unsure how this is going to pan out, and apprehensive about my first class but you've got to put yourself out there right? Right. Here goes.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment